Several organizations and individuals have released free ethical hacking and penetration test methodologies. Being a penetration tester, or wanting to work in the field of penetration testing, it is important to understand the freely available methodologies for several good reasons. First, being a penetration tester we want to recognize the people who invested their hard work in producing, creating, and making these methodologies and then provided them on a freely available basis to everyone. Next, these methodologies can help you make use of concepts and techniques, as you put together your own penetration testing process or methods.
Public/Free Penetration Testing Methodologies
Several organizations have released free network scanning and penetration testing methodologies
– These methodologies provide useful source documentation for formalizing you own custom-made penetration test plan
– A few of the most interesting and valuable methodologies are:
- Open Source Security Testing Methodology Manual (OSSTMM)
- NIST Special Publication 800-115: Technical Guide to Information Security Testing and Assessment (NIST 800-115)
- Open Web Application Security Project (OWASP) Testing Guide
- Penetration Testing Framework
As these organizations have released high-quality, free penetration testing methodology documents which is beneficial to penetration testing teams or individuals, as they lay out a foundation for the test plan.
It is recommend that a penetration tester would review each of these free documents, as they provide helpful information into testing from various different perspectives. Additionally, when making your own customized testing methodology, these document and methodologies, together with this course, can act as valuable sources to be able to create wording for your own documentation on penetration testing processes and findings.
Four of the valuable and best free documents on testing methodologies include:
– Open Source Security Testing Methodology Manual (OSSTMM)
– NIST Special Publication 800-115: Technical Guide to Information Security Testing and Assessment (NIST 800-115)
– Open Web Application Security Project (OWASP) Testing Guide
– Penetration Testing Framework.
Incoming search terms:
- penetration testing methodologies
- free penetration testing
- penetration test plan
- free penetration testing tools for windows