BackTrack – Penetration Testing Linux Distribution
What is BackTrack?
BackTrack is a penetration testing Linux-based operating system that aims to help network security professionals in the ability to perform reports assessments in a purely native environment dedicated to penetration testing.
BackTrack penetration testing linux distribution, has been customized for the sole purpose of penetration testing. Its application, kernel configuration, packages, scripts and patches are designed to be used for penetration testing and vulnerability assessment.
BackTrack is not only for penetration testers and people who work in the field of network security, it can also be used by any beginners in the field of information security, internet security or cyber security.
BackTrack promotes a fast and easy way to find and update the largest database of information security tools collection up-to-date.
BackTrack has a large number of users and its community is made up of skilled penetration testers in the information and network security field, government entities, information technology people, security enthusiasts, and individuals new and wanted to learn about network and information security.
Whether you’re pentesting wireless, exposing servers vulnerabilities, performing a web application exploits, learning, or doing social-engineering, BackTrack is the one-stop-shop for all of your security needs.
BackTrack includes many well known security tools including:
- Metasploit integration
- RFMON Injection capable wireless drivers
- Wireshark (formerly known as Ethereal)
- BeEF (Browser Exploitation Framework)
- Cisco OCS Mass Scanner A very reliable and fast scanner for Cisco routers with telnet/enable default password.
- Quypt (Terminal Emulator) (which is private software by Crimson Hacking group, which has leaked to the Mainstream) Blackhat
- A large collection of exploits as well as more commonplace software such as browsers.
BackTrack arranges tools into 12 categories:
- Information Gathering
- Vulnerability Assessment
- Exploitation Tools
- Privilege Escalation
- Maintaining Access
- Reverse Engineering
- RFID Tools
- Stress testing
- Reporting Tools
Incoming search terms:
- pentest tutorial
- backtrack 5 pentest tutorial
- pen testing tutorials
- backtrack penetration testing tutorial
- backtrack pentest tutorial
- backtrack stress testing
- backtrack tools tutorial